Pages

Help ~ I Think I’m Evolving!


~  Menu  ~

Leftover Haluski in a Creamy Tomato Sauce
Crunchy Fried Pappardelle
Glass of Secret Red
1 Square (honest) of Caramel Chocolate
Coffee

papardelle pasta


I bought some fancy pasta the other day; Pappardelle made by The Bay Tree - it was pretty and called out to me and, in any case, I had a cunning plan.

I wanted to try Haluski which is an Eastern European “peasant” dish of egg noodles tossed with onions and cabbage that have been cooked in butter.  I had it for dinner last night and it was a heck of a lot tastier that I expected. 



Haluski  ~ for 2

1 thinly sliced medium onion
2 good handfuls of thinly sliced cabbage
225g wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 generous knob (if you can imagine such a thing!) of butter

~   Melt the butter, add the onion and cook stirring from time to time till tender and starting to brown.
~   Add the cabbage and cook for another 5 or 6 minutes, its nice if this too is starting to caramelise.
~   Stir in the noodles and heat through.

That’s pretty well it.  Some versions have caraway seed added but not mine, I can’t stand them. After tasting the Haluski from the pan, as this was to be my entire meal, I doctored it a bit with some leftover Serrano ham, some Gran Padano and a little smoked black pepper.  Nice dinner.


delicious bowl of haluski

I couldn’t eat it all, as is so often the way, and this happily lead on to today’s lunch.

As you know I do like a bit of crunch with my meals so I fried a few pieces of the leftover pappardelle in olive oil to crisp and heated the rest of it up in a mixture of my favourite bought in pasta sauce and double cream. The fried pasta came out exactly as I had hoped and imagined, crisp but with a bit of chew, and went so well with the sauce I might do it again but fry the lot!


fried leftover pasta

dark chocolate with caramel


Lunch pudding was a single square of J.D. Grosse’s 70% Dark Ecuadorean chocky with crystals of slightly salty caramel in it.  I have written about this make of gorgeous chocolate before , it is not just any chocolate, it is Lidl’s finest!  I couldn’t decide whether to have any or not, on the one hand I had just eaten a lunch high in calories and fat so didn't deserve any but, on the other hand, what did it matter after eating all that bad stuff.  So I compromised.

Help ~ I Think I’m Evolving!


I think I should stop compromising and start being more abstemious!  I'm not sure if I am just getting fat or maybe evolving if this cartoon, which I’ve had in my wallet for years, is anything to go by!

human race getting fatter


2 comments:

debs said...

gosh!that sounds really nice and so simple!must give it a try!

Jenny Eatwell said...

I'm sorry, but I can't get past the "smoked black pepper" - how exotic is that? lol