Pages

Great Idea for Leftover Pancakes

Today is …
  
“  …the pinnacle for carrot lovers all around the world. It is the day when the carrot is celebrated through carrot parties and other carrot related festivities.

Yes, today's the day; International Carrot Day 2014 so I thought I’d write all sorts of interesting things about carrots, only … well I think I've already written almost everything I can think of! 

In my book Creative Ways to Use Up Leftovers I give nine ideas for spare carrots including this piece of advice.


how-to-cheer-up-a-limp-carrot
carrot-salad-dressing




I have also blogged about delicious roasted carrots here where I give five more ideas including Carrot Vinaigrette with which I am particularly pleased.  


So despite today being such a biggie I’ve decided to tell you about what I did with a couple of leftover pancakes, the crèpe type.

You may remember that on Pancake Day (the UK one!) I recreated a wonderful meal I had eaten in France involving buckwheat galettes..  Well yesterday I had exactly the same meal again, Galettes de Sarrasin with a creamy scallop and leek filling. As my real man doesn't go for this sort of fancy cooking I had several pancakes left over.

Leftover Pancakes


I reheated a couple in a dry frying pan and had them with maple syrup, of course, for breakfast.

gluten-free-pancakes

I then tried to recreate something else I ate in France - Oreillettes which I thought meant small ears but apparently means headset, ear flap, ear phone!  Not so whimsical and poetic and also a strange name for a traditional dish, but c'est la vie. This is what they looked like in France …

french-orreillettes

… and I took them to be deep fried pancakes which they are not. Mine are though!

crisply-fried-pancakes

Here's the recipe for real Oreillettes, which are an orange flower and citrus scented dough rolled thin and friedI’ll give the real things a go soon.

My fried pancakes, however, worked out really well eaten whilst hot and crisp and sprinkled with sugar.  I still had a few scraps left so fried those as well and here they are on top of some Coffee Sorbet I had left in the freezer after writing my recent little ebook Sorbets & Granitas” 

apple-sorbet

 A nice idea, I thought. It makes me wish I was still cheffing so I could surprise the punters!

In Other News

We Hate to Waste, a website in America dedicated to the no waste lifestyle with loads of interesting ideas and info (and I really am not just saying that) have done me the honour of featuring my book and my humble self on their blog . Have a look, even if you don’t read the bit about me I think you’ll enjoy browsing the site.

say-no-to-food-waste




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the sound of deep fried pancakes, although I think they'd need to be saved for a once in a while treat as I can;t imagine they'd be too healthy! They look delicious.

Thanks for joining #FoodYearLinkup