Pages

Homemade Bread & Dipping Gravy


~  Menu  ~

A Bowl of Gravy!
Homemade Seedy Bread
Some Chocolate

Today I have been playing with bread – I have made all sorts of things for an article I am writing for that excellent magazine, Vegetarian Living and then, having finished that I just felt like making a little more bread!  So I did!


how-to-make-bread

Easy Homemade Bread Recipe ...


500g strong flour of your choice
2 tsp sugar
a heaped tsp salt
1 sachet easy blend yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
300ml warm water

~  Mix together all the dry ingredients.
~  Mix in the wet ingredients and knead together for a few minutes till smooth and elastic.
~  Set aside in a warm place to rise till double its size - about an hour. 
~  Knead again, add whatever you feel like (I added some seeds) and form into loaves or buns or similar.
~  Rise again till doubled again and at the same time pre-heat your oven to 200°C/400°F/180ºC fan/gas 6.
~  Bake till risen and golden and sounds hollow when rapped on the bottom.

I also portioned and froze the Steak and Red Wine Casserole I made yesterday – setting stores away to feed my father in law (common law!) while we’re away.  I was very generous with the gravy but still had too much.  My lunch became obvious to me.


great-idea-for-leftover-gravy
You might as well pin this!!!
The casserole recipe is very basic but  I might as well give you the recipe  …

Steak & Red Wine Casserole


1 kg diced stewing steak (or lamb shanks are good instead!)
salt & pepper
a few tbsp flour
3 tbsp or so olive oil
2 large onions – coarsely chopped
1 large carrot – sliced
1 garlic clove – finely chopped 
1 tbsp tomato paste
200ml red wine
beef stock or water to cover

~   Season the steak and toss with flour to coat.  Shake off excess flour.
~   Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and, when hot, add the steak in several batches, turning the meat in the oil till brown on all sides and setting aside* before adding the next batch.
~   When all the meat is brown and set aside add the last tablespoon of oil and the vegetables to the pan and cook, stirring from time to time, till softening and beginning to go brown.
~   Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two.
~   Add the red wine and stir in, scraping any meaty or vegetabley residues on the bottom of the pan. 
~   Bring to a boil, stirring, then return the meat and all their juices and stir in.
~ A  dd enough stock of water to just come to the top of the meat and return to a boil.
~   Turn the heat down low, low, low, cover tightly and simmer for agest (2-3 hours or more) till fall apart tender.
~   Taste and season.

*  I always set my browned meats aside on the upturned lid of the pot I am using; saves juices and washing up.

With some sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, warm bread fresh from the oven and glass of something of the red persuasion lunch was grand.

Sadly for my diet (so much for a cunning plan) not only did I have to cook and eat a load of bread today which was not my fault but I also received a prize that I won on Twitter.  Sadly it is chocolate and it would have been rude not to have at least given it a try!
chocolate






1 comment:

Medifast Recipes said...

Yummy!
Thanks for a couple of nice sounding recipes. I am going to try your casserole tomorrow night, I don't have everything I need, have to go to the grocers, thanks so much for sharing.