Pages

Comfort Foods ~ 'cos it's going to get colder!

As I sit here writing this, in Cornwall, the sun is streaming in and it is warm enough to sit outside in the garden, without a jumper!  I’d be there now if only I could see the screen in all that sunshine. Oh, and we have poppies and primroses in flower – does anyone know if that is normal?

I understand, however, that it is soon to be become a lot colder, so I thought I’d post a list of some of my favourite “rib sticking” recipes.  


pasta-with-blue-cheese-and-pears


The first one I thought of was Penne Pasta in a Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce with Roasted Pears but the original post seemed to have disappeared so I re-did it and posted it yesterday.




Here are some other recipes I think could have a lovely warming effect on a cold day.

smoked-salmon-gratin


Potato & Smoked Salmon Gratin


I have to say, even though it is my recipe, that this is gorgeous – must make it again soon! The recipe for this lovely salmon gratin in here.

leftover-bread-savoury-bread-pudding



Melted Onion Panade

A thick, warm, comforting, cheap and utterly delicious sort of French Onion Soup / Bread Pudding Cross! 






hotpot-recipe



Lamb & Leek Hotpot


A hotpot is a hearty one pot dish of meat, onions, potatoes and rich stock slowly baked together till lush as in this recipe for Lamb & Leek Hotpot. Perfect for chilly weather.

braised-beef




Red Wine Braised Lamb


Braised meat cooked this way is rich, silky, tender, sticky and utterly delicious!




  


And soup - obviously!


If you are familiar with Sudden Lunch you will know that I have written a lot about soup including a whole book! SOUP (almost) the only Recipe You Will Ever Need, but I think one of the loveliest for warming purposes is ...

butternut-squash-roasted-garlic-soup



Butternut Squash & Roasted Garlic Soup



Manly Marmalade Bread Pudding


Not the wobbly creamy bread and butter pudding type thing (although that recipe is in the same post) but lovely rib-sticking bread pud!

bread-pudding-recipe

Toffee Apple Crumble


This is the best Apple Crumble I have ever made - perfect for the windfalls that are ubiquitous just now!


caramelised-apple-crumble-recipe
Oh and there's some fine Comfort Food here too - with benefits!


No comments: