Pages

Banana Bread ~ but not as we know it, Jim

WARNING ~ this is a very short post, don't fall off the end!

yeast-from-bananas

The other day I picked up this interesting little book which was printed in 1965.  It was written by Mrs Eva Pendaeli-Sarakikya and Sister Agnes Blaster.  The first lady collected recipes that “were African in character” and the secon lady collected “the other recipes” which appear to be those from English ex-pats, things such as Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich Filling or Lemon Meringue Pie.

Some of the African are strange and interesting and many of them remind me of my years in the Caribbean where often people still cook the traditional foods of Africa.



The reason I am writing this small post, however, is this very interesting recipe …

Banana Yeast!


making-yeast-from-bananas
2 ripe plantains (large type bananas)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 heaped tablespoon wheat flour
½ teacup lukewarm water


1.   Peel and thoroughly mash the bananas in a basin.
2    Add sugar and then the flour and mix well.
3.   Add the water and stir well.
4.   Pour this into a bottle with a cork.  Leave in a cool place until it starts to ferment.
5.   This amount is enough to raise 2lb of flour.


I am very tempted to try this but, sadly, I am Bananaphobic.   Maybe I’ll man-up some time and give it a go.  In the meantime, if anyone else fancies making this – please do let me know the result.


No comments: