Pages

A Lunch so Sudden even I was surprised!

I would imagine that I am the only person to have had this specific combination for lunch in Newcastle, or perhaps the World, today!  It made pleasant eating, however, so no complaints.

~  Menu  ~

Leftover Senegalese-ish Groundnut Stew Sauce
Fried Aubergine Slices
Toast
Glass of Red Wine

Today’s lunch was so sudden it even surprised me.   Just as the bacon & egg stottie cakes were being served for my menfolk and I was thinking of bread and cheese for myself I looked in the fridge and had an idea!  

I discovered a small amount of leftover groundnut stew type stuff which I may, or may not, explain about in a few weeks time if I remember.  I also had half a very lovely shiny aubi leftover from a curry I made yesterday and, of course, I always have the potential for toast.  It all worked well together – the sauce is made from peanuts, tomatoes and chili, so just my sort of thing, and went well with the fried aubergine.



I drank a small amount of red wine with it because we are on the road again tomorrow and I feel we shouldn't really travel about with too many half empty bottles in the car.

This evening we are having Steak and Red Wine Casserole so that I can freeze the leftovers to add to my F-i-L’s collection.  The recipe is dead simple and always delicious.

Dead Simple Steak & Red Wine Casserole


1 kg diced braising steak
Flour
Salt & Pepper
4 tbsp or so olive oil
4 medium onions – coarsely chopped
4 beef Oxos or similar
Quite a lot of red wine

~   Toss the steak in enough flour, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss again.
~   Heat the oil in a large, deep pan and cook the steak a few pieces at a time (if the pan is crowded the steak will stew in its own juice rather than fry and brown), stirring about a bit till the meat is brown.
~   As each batch of meat browns lift it out of the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
~   Add the onions to the pan together with a little more oil if necessary and cook, stirring frequently, till it starts to soften and has touches of brown.
~   Return all the meat to the pan and pour over enough red wine to come almost to the top of the meat.
~   Crumble in 4 beef Oxos, stir in and bring to a boil.
~   Turn down the heat, cover tightly and simmer for ages – maybe 3-4 hours till the meat is fall apart tender. 

If the gravy is too runny take out all the meat and boil the gravy down to your required consistency, if too thick add a little water. 

2 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

I'm a toast girl too. If I haven't had some toast in a day, I really feel like I've forgotten something important. LOL I really like the sound of this combination - and I bet it was a combination that your menfolk looked at and shook their heads at how you would consider eating it.

Sudden Lunch ~ Suzy Bowler said...

You're right - they say it doesn't even look like food! Poor things don't know what they're missing.