Pages

Orson Welles was Right!

“Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch.” 
Orson Welles

~  Menu  ~

Crunchy Asparagus and Wild Garlic Omelette
Coffee Ice Cream
Too much chocky sauce
Cake croutons
Coffee

Having a few leftover asparagus stalks (no tips) in the fridge together with a bowl of Wild Garlic Butter (you may remember my picking the garlic on May Day) I decided to make an omelette and also to try an idea that was in the back of my mind, very similar indeed to my Toast on Eggs I wrote about ages ago.   

~  I thinly sliced the asparagus stalks and cooked them for a minute or two in a dollop of wild garlic butter. 

~  Once tender I set them aside and sprinkled a handful of panko crumbs over the butter in the pan before adding two beaten eggs (seasoned of course).

~  I made the omelette as usual, returning the asparagus just before folding and all was well.

Here is a close-up so that I hope you can see the crunchy bits.

wild garlic omelette with asparagus

Lunch Pudding

Looking through the freezer to see if there was anything for lunch pudding I found a slice of frozen cake and a modicum of homemade coffee ice cream and so lunch pudding was born. 

I also had some Dark Chocolate Caramel Sauce in the fridge which needed warming up to get it out of the jar.  I diced the cake and sautéed it in a little butter till golden then arranged everything tastefully in a bowl ...

coffee ice cream caramalised chocolate sauce, cake croutons

Not bad for a sudden dessert! The reason there is too much sauce is because it was not worth keeping the last little bit. Honest!

ultimate homemade ice cream recipe book

The recipes for the ice cream and sauce are in my book which, with the sun out at last (well it was yesterday!) I thought I'd tell you a bit more about it.

~  or much time effort or having to mash the stuff as it freezes  ~

In this  book I give, I promise you, a quick, way to make truly rich, creamy, luxurious dairy ice cream with no ice cream maker, no churning, no eggs (which was just incidental - I wasn't trying to be healthy) and absolutely no hard work such as stirring!  

The book contains over 100 ice cream recipes plus many more for sauces, syrups, inclusions, accompaniments and serving suggestions such as this maple syrup ice cream (so easy!!) with bacon brittle.

homemade maple syrup ice cream with bacon brittle









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this my be my perfect lunch - asparagus, omelette and coffee ice cream are 3 of my favourite ever foods!

Suzy - Sudden Lunch said...

The ice cream was a really lucky find - if I'd known it was there I'd have already eaten it!