Pages

Sugared Walnuts & a Fully Loaded Tomato Sandwich!

~ Menu ~ 

Fully Loaded Tomato Sandwich 
Glass of Merlot 
A spoonful of Ice Cream and a few leftover Sugared Walnuts 
Coffee


A lovely sunny day today and no-one about, which makes it even better. We spend half of our life on a campsite in Cornwall and the high season can be very crowded and wearing. Spring and autumn, on the other hand, are delicious; just us, the crows in the trees and peacefulness.

Cornwall porthcothan-cornwall
After breakfast I went for a walk along the cliffs – some of the loveliest in Cornwall – picked a few blackberries and came back with purple lips but still starving. My fridge was pathetic today and didn’t come up with any inspiring leftovers so I decided to fall back on a great favourite on mine – Tomato Sandwich – but not just any old tomato sandwich, one ultra augmented with all sorts of goodies. Before I put the lid on it looked like this …

tomato salad open sandwich


I used wholemeal bread spread with a little mayonnaise (Hellman’s Light which takes as good as non-light mayo to me) and then a spoonful or two of chilli-spiked pasta sauce. Over this I dolloped a little Garlic and Herb Boursin and then topped all this tasty creaminess with sweet cherry tomatoes, a few salad leaves and crunchy red onion. After taking this picture I put on the second slice and devoured the lot washed down with some red wine, of course. It was so delicious that writing this I feel like eating it all over again.

For dessert I just had a an abstemious amount of homemade coffee ice cream (for which, of course, I used my excellent no-churn ice cream recipe) sprinkled with a few candied walnuts, recipe below.


homemade coffee ice cream with crunchy walnuts

Sugared Walnuts

200g sugar 
100ml water 
½ teaspoon ground black pepper - optional 
2 pinches salt 
250g walnut halves
  • Preheat the oven to 350˚F, 180˚C, gas mark 4 and set a lightly greased baking tray beside the stove.
  • Heat together the sugar and water over low heat, stirring till the sugar has dissolved.
  • Turn up the heat and boil to a light syrup - this only takes a few minutes, a little of the syrup dabbed on a plate should form a thread when you lift the spoon.
  • Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
  • Spread onto the baking tray and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes till crisp - keeping an eye and a nose out in case they start to overcook.
  • Cool, breaking up any clumps and use whole or chopped in or on ice cream, in salads or just in your mouth.
NOTE: You will have noticed the optional black pepper in the recipe - this makes sugar spiced walnuts which are perfect in this lovely blue cheese salad.  These lovely sugar glazed walnuts are a boon in so many dishes!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds like my kind of lunch (especially the wine and ice cream!). I've never used tomatoes as the star of my sandwich before they're always there as an accompaniment to something else. I really should give them a chance shouldn't I?