23 October 2012

Testing, Testing (or Frittering my Lunch Away)


I feel that if I am serious about being a writer I need to have these punny titles occasionally, I do apologise.


~  Menu  ~

Fritter Testing Platter
Fizzy Water
Nothing else

Some while ago I suddenly made Cauliflower Cheese Fritters and wrote in the relevant post that I supposed 100g of any leftover could be similarly treated. Today I put it to the test with random stuff out of the fridge.  


Useful All Purpose Fritter Batter  (click to tweet, please!)

2 tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
seasonings which could include cheese or sugar
1 egg
a little milk
approx 100g of leftovers

~   Mix together the dry ingredients.
~   Stir in the egg and enough milk to make a thick batter.
~   Stir in the leftovers.
~   Fry by the spoonfuls in a little hot oil till crisp and golden on both sides.

I divided the batter in four and added the following - from the back ...

1.    25g of grated Cornish Crackler and a pinch of mustard powder. The dollop on top is my favourite tomato and chilli pasta sauce.
2.   25g of diced courgette cooked with garlic and a spoonful of Parmesan.  It is drizzled with balsamic glaze.
3.   A few more bits of diced courgette which I cooked with about 20g of finely diced chorizo and Exotic Peppercorn Mix (as it says on the grinder!).
4.   25g mashed chickpeas and ¼ teaspoon curry paste.

Doesn't look bad, does it!  Conclusion – yes, that works and I must say today’s lunch was much more … um, cohesive than yesterdays which was, of course, made entirely of leftovers too.


As you can see in the last few days running up to my book’s deadline I am busy checking a few things here and there.  I did find a recipe which I had inexplicably written in a combination of imperial, metric and American measurements.  It reminded me of my funny brother-in-law once saying something was an inch yard and a thick wide. 

All this picking at the thing is daft really because I think it’s about as good as I can do. Once I've sent it off I think I shall have a meal entirely made of brand new ingredients just to celebrate!

In Other News …

We’re still Up North and the weather has finally gone off.  Up to Sunday (2 days ago) it was pretty well constant sunshine up here and Northumbria is very lovely so we went and had a look at it.


Oh, and this made me laugh, especially the comments - Ice Cube Recipe


Pin It!

No comments: