31 December 2011

Happy Old Year's Night & New Year!

Happy Old Years Night!

Even as I type Old Years Night is gearing up in Trellis Bay; my old home.  There will be so many boats parked in the bay it would almost be possible to walk ashore and music will pulsing out across the water.  The is a helluva party about to start including fire dancers, fire balls, a burning metal man, mocko jumbies and fireworks.  I won’t be there of, course, but hope everyone has a truly wonderful time.



I have been experiencing a very high rate of synchronicity recently. For instance a couple of nights ago I wondered if I should throw myself open, so to speak, to questions about leftovers from my readers.  No sooner had I done a strokey chin ponder than I received not one but two queries pertaining to leftovers.  Firstly via Twitter about soufflés and then from a friend on Facebook who said she had too many Brussels sprouts and swedes and what should she do with them.  So here starteth my first question session …



Dealing with the second question first ...



Leftover Brussels Sprouts





~   Shred raw Brussels sprouts and add to coleslaw 


~   Make a specifically Brussels sprout salad; shred the sprouts and toss with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, red onion and dress with a robust vinaigrette. 

~   Shred raw sprouts and stir fry with bacon and garlic to serve with pork.
~   Add cooked sprouts to Bubble ‘n’ Squeak of course.
~   Halve or quarter cooked sprouts and reheat in butter together with toasted walnuts (or whatever) or crispy bacon or crunchy freshly fried breadcrumbs, etc.
~   Coarsely chop cooked sprouts and heat through in butter and cream with a handful of parmesan – Brussels Sprout Alfredo!  

Leftover Swede


I have to admit I don’t like swede or turnip so am not as inspired as I might otherwise be.  Having said that I imagine that if you do like swede the following might be good ways to use it up …

~   Cook raw swede along with potatoes till br />tender, and mash together with butter and black pepper.  Serve as a side dish or as a topping for a cottage pie or similar.  Better still serve it with your haggis on Burns’ Night (25th Jan if you can keep your swedes till then) as it is, after all, Neeps ‘n’ Tatties.
~   Cut swede, carrots and potatoes into similar sized chunks, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and a small drizzle of runny honey.  Roast in a medium hot oven till tender, crispy and golden.  Red onion would be a good addition.
~   Add cooked swede to Bubble ‘n’ Squeak.
~   Smash cooked swede into a chunky mash, season, form into cakes and shallow fry till crisp.  Serve with bacon and eggs.

NOTE – swede is known as rutabaga across the pond so I checked if they had any ideas and indeed they had.  I have just read that rutabaga should be "Soaked(ed) for 72 hours in 2 gallons of hydrochloric acid"!  Americans eh? ~ they always have to go the extra mile.  Even bearing in mind that an American gallon is smaller than ours please don't try this idea.

Now to the first query … Leftover Soufflé  

A children's writer called Enid Richemont tweeted me saying “Try doing something with left over cheese soufflé - we always end up with some- too good to chuck.” and this is a tricky one as, of course, soufflé is supposed to be serve as soon as it leaves the oven.  However …

I have often made a delicious Twice BakedCheese Soufflé – which is designed for reheating so I have a couple of suggestions …

1.                  Use this recipe instead.
2.                  Try reheating leftover soufflé by putting in a shallow buttered dish, pouring over a little cream, sprinkling with parmesan (particularly if it’s a cheese omelette!) and reheating at 400ºF/200ºC/180C fan/gas 6  for 15-20 minutes.  I am sure the soufflé won’t be as airily stunning as at first serving but it should still be tasty and entirely edible!
3.                  If the soufflé has sunken and solidified I would also be tempted to slice it and fry in butter!


I have tried neither of these things as we are still chocka with Christmas food but will try them and report back.

Ask me a Question ... 

... if you have any leftover food you don’t know what to do with.  Follow me on Twitter @SuddenLunch and tweet me, email me at suzybowler@hotmail.com or join my Facebook group, Sudden Lunch - SuddenLunch@groups.facebook.com – and ask the group. 


Happy New Year!
Pin It!

No comments: