1 March 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes on Yacht Carapace

~  Menu  ~

Fried Green Tomatoes with Boursin
Spicy Hot V8
Coffee
A handful of Grapes



Our friends, Bob & Roberta, left the island a few days ago and the old adage is true – you can’t take it with you.  Among the things they didn’t take with them were their tomato plants so, as instructed, I helped myself to a few green ones.  Unfortunately one of the buggers ripened overnight!

When I used to work out here I had a “supplier”; a guy down the road from who brought me bags of homegrown green tomatoes, all different shapes and sizes from tiny cherry tomatoes to huge marmande.  I would coat them in panko crumbs, fry till crisp and serve with crumbled feta cheese and fresh hot chilli.  I made the most of the different tomatoes by cutting in slices, and wedges and arranging them to show off their shapes and the fact that they were different varieties – they used to look lovely.  I felt sure I had a photo somewhere in this computer but I can’t find it.  Just one of my old menus …


One of the wait staff didn’t like the way I had worded the dish; she felt it implied that we killed and cooked our customers! 

Today I didn’t faff about much, I did use the ripened tomato as well as the green and, you know, I’m glad I did.  It was extra pleasant tasting a tart and tangy slice and then a sweeter one.  Of course I had a limited choice of accompaniments but managed admirably with some Boursin and toast. 

Fried Green Tomatoes

Firm green tomatoes
Salt and pepper (an other sprinkly seasonings of your choice)
Flour
Olive oil or, you know … bacon fat

~   Slice the tomatoes thinly.
~   Season and coat with the flour, or coat in seasoned flour – I put the flour and seasonings in a mixing bowl, added the sliced tomatoes and gave them a damn good shaking.
~   Shallow fry in a little oil till crisp and brown in places on both sides.
~   Drain on paper towel and eat.

Breadcrumbs, cornmeal and panko crumbs all make admirable coatings too but flour is fine.  My lunch was lovely, as ever.




Our boat!

Oh - and apparently my article on Tear 'n' Share/Monkey Bread is in April's Vegetarian Living - looking forward to seeing it when I get back to the UK.



Pin It!

1 comment:

Chrissy C said...

Yummy! I love fried green tomatoes. Bacon fat makes them so tasty! Bacone does that with everything.