8 May 2013

Orson Welles was Right!

“Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch.” 
l Orson Welles

~  Menu  ~

Crunchy Asparagus and Wild Garlic Omelette
Coffee Ice Cream
Too much chocky sauce
Cake croutons
Coffee

Having a few leftover asparagus stalks (no tips) in the fridge together with a bowl of Wild Garlic Butter (you may remember my picking the garlic on May Day) I decided to make an omelette and also to try an idea that was in the back of my mind, very similar indeed to my Toast on Eggs I wrote about ages ago.   

~  I thinly sliced the asparagus stalks and cooked them for a minute or two in a dollop of wild garlic butter. 
~  Once tender I set them aside and sprinkled a handful of panko crumbs over the butter in the pan before adding two beaten eggs (seasoned of course).
~  I made the omelette as usual, returning the asparagus just before folding and all was well.

Here is a close-up so that I hope you can see the crunchy bits.


Lunch Pudding

Looking through the freezer to see if there was anything for lunch pudding I found a slice of frozen cake and a modicum of homemade coffee ice cream and so lunch pudding was born. I also had some Dark Chocolate Caramel Sauce in the fridge which needed warming up to get it out of the jar.  I diced the cake and sautéed it in a little butter till golden then arranged everything tastefully in a bowl ...


The reason there is too much sauce is because it was not worth keeping the last little bit. Honest!

The recipes for the ice cream and sauce are in my ebook which, with the sun out at last (well it was yesterday!) I thought I'd tell you a bit more about it.

~  or much time effort or having to mash the stuff as it freezes  ~


In this ebook and paperback book I give, I promise you, a quick, way to make truly rich, creamy, luxurious dairy ice cream with no machine, no eggs (which was just incidental - I wasn't trying to be healthy) and absolutely no hard work such as stirring!  The book contains over 100 ice cream recipes plus many more for sauces, syrups, inclusions, accompaniments and serving suggestions.

Here are some excerpts from the first chapter of the book to give a little more idea of what it is about:

"Intro, Info and the Key Recipe
I have been a chef for ages, over 30 years, the most recent half of them cooking on the lovely little Caribbean island of Tortola. Naturally in all that hot sunshine iced desserts are much in demand and I managed, indeed more than managed to come up with the goods without using an ice cream machine.  I haven’t been messing with ice and salt either! 
What I have been doing is adapting, tweaking and varying one embarrassingly simple recipe to make numerous delicious and even impressive (at least to me) ice creams and ice cream dishes.  Basic though the method is, many of these ices have been best sellers in high class restaurants and are in no way a compromise. 
Having seen how many homemade ice cream books there are on the market, often involving complicated methods and expensive ice cream machines, I felt it would be shame not to pass on this undemanding but excellent recipe
Incidentally, for the purpose of this book almost all these ice creams have been tested, photographed and even eaten either in a small touring caravan in England or on a small boat in Tortola, such is my nomadic lifestyle and the simplicity of the method.
Many traditional ice cream recipes are custard based.  Custard is made with egg yolks and the fat in the yolks gives the ice cream a good texture.  In these recipes, which contain no egg yolk, it is important to always use a high fat cream such as double cream (not the extra thick kind as this is not suitable for all the whisking involved) or American heavy cream.  The butterfat adds not only a deliciously rich flavour but also a good “mouth feel”, as we say in the trade.   
...
You will notice that in addition to the basic ingredients all the following ice creams contain either alcohol or something very sweet, such as a preserve or syrup, or occasionally both.  It is sugar, both turned to alcohol and otherwise, that makes for an ice cream that is “soft scoop” straight from the freezer (As one reviewer quite rightly said "The fact that alcohol and sugar is involved is an additional plus")
Maple Syrup Ice Cream (so lovely and so easy) with Bacon Brittle
Recipes for all the syrups and sauces needed to make the recipes in this book are in Chapter 10 whilst those for solid inclusions such as meringues, bits of cake etc are in Chapter 11, although I do sometimes suggest bought in substitutions to make life easier for you.  You know what you’re like!
Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia
Of course no book on ice cream would be complete without a mention of this.  Also known as ‘an ice cream headache’ or ‘brain freeze’ this is the pain that can strike when eating something very cold.  Apparently it is nothing to do with the brain (except the part that says ‘must eat ice cream’) but is caused by cold food touching the roof of the mouth causing blood vessels in the head to dilate – which hurts.  If you can keep the ice cream away from the roof of your mouth you’re laughing."
See here for lots of photos and a list of all the recipes for ice creams, syrups, sauces, inclusions and serving suggestions.  
"Luscious Ice Creams ..." can be downloaded for just £1.99 here - how easy is that?   I should just like to point out that this is less than the price of a carton of ice cream and far, far, far cheaper than an ice cream machine.


Tweetables ...

Please click on the links below to Tweet this important information to the World!

~   Orson Welles was Right! “Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch.” 
~   Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia  Of course no book on ice cream would be complete without a mention of this.
~   "100+ Luscious Ice Creams without a Machine" less than the price of a carton of ice cream and far cheaper than an ice cream machine.
~   Homemade ice cream -~ lovely for lunch pudding!







Pin It!

2 comments:

hungryhinny.com said...

I think this my be my perfect lunch - asparagus, omelette and coffee ice cream are 3 of my favourite ever foods!

Suzy - Sudden Lunch said...

The ice cream was a really lucky find - if I'd known it was there I'd have already eaten it!