13 April 2013

Why I had 2 glasses of wine!

~  Menu  ~

Roast Chicken and Butternut Squash Mayo
Vicky's (wonderful) Bread
Glass of Chardonnay
Another glass of Chardonnay
A Squidgy Chocolate Meringue
Black Coffee

Lunch, nevertheless was very pleasant.  Whenever I roast a chicken my real man has it with all the trimmings (potatoes, homemade bread sauce, homemade stuffing, veggies, real gravy and cranberry sauce) but I just have some breast meat with butternut squash roasted with red onion and chilli plus a little gravy.  Today the leftover spicy sweet roasted butternut was excellent mixed into mayonnaise with some diced chicken and served with my favourite bread in all the world; Vicky's Bread


Lunch pudding was one of my luscious ...

Squidgy Chocolate Meringues

175g dark choc
2 large room temperature egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
50g caster sugar

~   Break up the chocolate and put into a small bowl and stand it in a small pan of boiling water to come about a third of the way up the bowl.  If your bowl is plastic it is a good idea to stand it on a metal jam jar lid or similar to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
~   Simmer the water until the chocolate is melted and then stir till smooth. 
~   Cool a little but it should still be runny.
~   Preheat your oven to
350ºF/180ºC/160°C fan/gas 4 and line a baking tray with baking parchment or a  non stick liner.
~   Whisk the egg
whites together with the cream of tartar (abiding by the same meringue rules as above) to soft peaks.
~  
Add the vanilla extract and then, still whisking, gradually add the sugar and whisk to stiff peaks.
~  
Add the cooled chocolate and fold in gently, gently to till all merged together. 
~  
Immediately drop teaspoonfully onto the parchment a couple of centimetres apart and bake till shiny and cracked – about 15-20 minutes.

This recipe is taken directly from the chapter on Inclusions, Complimentary Stuff & Ancillary Recipes in my eBook "Lush Ice Cream without a Machine" - see Amazon Widget in the sidebar.

In Other News ...

1.   The reason I had two glasses of wine (other than I wanted to) is that there has been a bit of a cock up in the distribution of my "real" book, 'The Leftovers Handbook', department; people are still waiting for delivery, and I am in a Bad Mood!  If you are concerned see here for more details  and/or have a glass of wine.  (Not surprisingly I cheered up after lunch!)

2.   I have written a piece about wild garlic for Cornwall Community News.  Hopefully the weather will be good enough some time soon to enable some picking to go on.  I love the stuff.




Pin It!

4 comments:

Jenny Eatwell said...

Suzy, can I introduce you to my friend Marisa - who has recently been for a wonderful holiday to Tortola. :) You can find her at https://mcproco.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/caribbeanbarbecue/#comment-977 :)

Sue said...

I've never been able to find wild garlic growing near where we have lived - one day I will, I do keep searching :-)

Suzy - Sudden Lunch said...

Thanks Jenny - I've just read Marisa's post and it made me very nostalgic. Just one thing tho - Bomba is a real guy not a deity!

s said...

Where do you live Sue? I pick mine around Padstow and St. Columb in Cornwall. Sort of lightly wooded areas.