22 May 2012

10 Things to do with Leftover Asparagus

~  Menu  ~

Cornish Asparagus with Flaked Smoked Trout and Hollandaise
Baker Tom’s Multiseed Bread
White Wine Spritzer

I splashed out and bought some Cornish asparagus which, as you know, is delicious.  I ate half of the tips with some smoked trout fillets – not just any smoked trout fillets these were Lidls’ smoked trout fillets which were (quite correctly) recommended to me by a friend.  I couldn’t quite finish the fish.  Hence today’s lunch …


I just heated and lightly crisped the trout in a little butter whilst poaching the remaining asparagus tips.  Oh – and gently heated the M & S Hollandaise which surprised me in 2 ways.  Firstly that it contained cream and secondly that I didn't make my own but it’s a lot of faff to make for a person who has just been to M & S!  Here, however, is my recipe for Hollandaise which I made gallons of every Sunday for several years.

Easy Hollandaise Sauce

240g butter
6 egg yolks
juice of 1 lemon
salt & pepper

~   Melt the butter over low heat then turn the heat off and ignore it for a few minutes.
~   Blend together the egg yolk and lemon juice (in a liquidiser, food processor or bowl with a whisk) and then gradually incorporate the melted butter very carefully making sure that none of the solids, which will be at the bottom of the pan, enters the sauce.
~   Taste and season till delicious.

Hollandaise sauce is fragile – keep warm by either standing a bowl of hollandaise in a warm water bath or keeping it in a thermos, as I used to do during service.




I still have the some asparagus left with which I may do one of the following

9 More Things to do with Leftover or Just a Little Asparagus

~   Serve as “soldiers” with dippy eggs.
~   Just a little asparagus and several people to serve?   Make a pretty side dish of peas, snow or snap peas and asparagus all tossed together in butter. 
~   Toss just cooked asparagus in butter with new pots.
~   Add leftover asparagus to omelette, frittata or scrambled eggs add bacon or ham if you can (and you want to!).
~   Stir into risotto.
~   Add to stir fries.
~   Toss with cooked pasta and Alfredo Sauce – add ham or chicken or smoked fish etc.
~   Raw asparagus - cut very thin diagonal slices or shave into fine strips with a potato peeler and toss in a salad with a light lemony, peppery vinaigrette, finely shaved parmesan would be a good addition to this.

If your stalks are woody they won’t make good soup as they will remain woody whatever you do with them BUT you could cook them in a little water to make asparagus stock and then use the stock to give a boost to risotto, soups and sauces.


And in other news ... 

“Spice: The History of a Temptation” by Jack Turner


I have finished reading this excellent book – briefly mentioned in my earlier post about “Season to Taste ~ how I lost my sense of smell and found my way” by Molly Birnbaum  – and would like to take the opportunity of recommending it to “all my followers” and also of thanking Bob for sending it to me.  (xx)

Interesting, informative and nicely written it made me grin quite often. Jack Turner deals with the history of spice as we used and abused them and how we felt about them with regard to sex, food, perfume, religion etc. throughout the ages. One thing I really like is discovering instances when ancient peoples were just the same as us as in the case of a Roman chap called Martial who wrote in a poem to a certain lady customer of a famous perfumier …

“Don’t take pleasure in exotic trifles, Gellia,
You are aware, I suppose, that my dog could smell as good”
Free Books!
Speaking of books, if you haven't already, please do download your free copy of my tips book which is available in all sorts of formats here ... with a link to get another free book!


Pin It!

2 comments:

Charlotte Oates said...

Another delicious selection. I love asparagus dipped in a runny yolk so that's the one I'd go for!

Thanks for joining #FoodYearLinkup

Heather said...

This sounds soo good. I love asparagus and don't often have left over but in a risotto is a really good suggestion.