26 January 2012

Quick, Easy, Cheap & Delicious Bacon Salt

~  Menu  ~

Brie & Caramelised Onion Marmalade on Toast with …
Bacon Salt
Glass of Secret Red

This is a short post but a good one, or at least I think it is – hopefully you will be as delighted with this as I am.

I made something simply marvellous the other day!  Clearing out the fridge preparatory to filling it up again I found I had one single sad rasher of bacon left so I made …

Bacon Salt

1 rasher bacon
1 tsp crunchy sea salt

~   Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC/170ºC fan/gas 5 or so.
~   Cook the bacon till it seems to have gone too far and looks yukky, like this …
crisply-cooked-bacon
~   Pat off any fat and let it cool and harden.

~   Break into pieces and crush together with the salt in a pestle and mortar.


bacon-salt-suzy-bowler
~   Store in a sealed jar in the fridge and sprinkle willy nilly on all sorts of things.

As mentioned above, today I had it for lunch sprinkled over Brie and caramelised onion marmalade on nubbly toast comme ça …


brie-on-toast-with-bacon-salt


Yesterday I sprinkled it on poached freshly laid eggs (see here for the easiest and best way to poach eggs) …


poached-eggs-with-bacon-salt

Tonight I plan on eating it with salmon.

I have never made this before but am delighted with it; so much yumminess for so little effort and hardly any money, I shall certainly keep some by for the rest of my life!

This is just one of 35 ideas for leftover bacon included in The Leftovers Handbook.  Don't you wonder what ideas I have for the other 450 potential leftovers?


the-leftovers-handbook-suzy-bowler
A couple of Reviews ...

“Helps you create tasty loveliness from almost every possible leftover foodstuff you could think of (and possibly some that you couldn't....)”
 
“Cookery books are really very boring, but this one definitely isn't!” 







Pin It!

3 comments:

M and N said...

Would be lovely on a salad as well - that is a great way to use up bacon...

DEBS said...

brilliant idea!

Sara said...

Awesome idea! Love this! :)