Pages

A Deliciously Different Pizza Type Thing ~ Flammeküeche aka Tarte Flambée!


Yesterday I wrote a post on using prosciutto scraps  but I was unable to include this because I’d never made it.  I did it last night to use up various leftovers, I had …

~  A small amount of sourdough um … dough.  I make two or three loaves a week and the size of my sourdough mother seems to be gradually increasing to the stage where I had some spare.
~  A small chunk of prosciutto/parma ham.
~  A batch of caramelised onions.

So I had a go at making a kind of faux Flammeküeche, as you do!  
flammeküeche-recipe-tarte-flambée!
Here’s my recipe slightly adapted as it would be a coincidence if you have leftover sourdough and cooked onions at the same time …

Creamy Onion & Prosciutto Flatbread/Pizza Thing


Per flatbread you need …

1 pizza base – for a good pizza dough recipe see here
½ tablespoon olive oil
125g thickly sliced prosciutto – diced
15g butter
1 medium onion – thinly sliced
100g-150g crème fraîche – depending on how big your pizza base is!

~   Dice the prosciutto and cook gently in the oil till starting to turn colour.
~   Lift carefully out of the oil and set aside.
~   Add the butter to the fat in the pan, then the onions and toss to coat.
~   Press a piece of foil directly onto the onions to cover completely.
~   Turn the heat down low and put the lid on the pot. The onions should not so much fry in the butter as gently steam in it.
~   Cook slowly until the onions are soft enough to cut with the edge of a wooden spoon. You can stir once or twice during this time - they will take about 30 minutes.

~   Turn up the heat and cook, stirring, till starting to caramelise.
~   Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC/200ºC fan/gas 7.
~   Divide the sour cream or crème fraiche between the two bases.
~   Scatter with the melted onions and the prosciutto.
~   Bake till the base is crisp and golden.

tarte-flambée-recipe

As I say I have never tried this before but shall certainly eat it again! 


What the Heck is Flammeküeche


Real Flammeküeche, also known as Tarte Fambée, is a flatbread from the Alsace region of France made with crème fraîche, diced smoky bacon and thinly sliced raw onion and I’ll try that too some time but it will have to go some to be better than this!

I did make one other big mistake; traditionally Tarte Flambé is serve with chilled Alsatian white wine and I had red!!! Oops!
red-wine-or-white-wine









No comments: