10 October 2013

"Flavours" ~ a Review

Yesterday in the post I received, among other things (see bottom of this post) a new cookbook which I actually won in a competition. Yippee!


As you can see it is written by Anita-Clare Field whose fascinating website can be found here.

There is so very much I like and agree with about this book. Right at the start Anita-Clare she says that the fact there are no pictures in her book is deliberate. There are none in mine either and like her I feel that lovely professional photos of food arranged by a food stylist can do more to daunt people than help them.  

I also very much like her selection of recipes – lovely stuff some of which, being an adventurous foodie (sorry, I know some people don't like this word!) I am already familiar with and recommend, and many I shall be trying out asap.

The book is divided into 6 chapters:

  1. Soupe Dragon - 9 delicious recipes and an entirely appropriate dedication to the Soup Dragon.  I find this particularly moving as I feel it is similar to my own affinity with Mme Cholet of the Wombles.
  2. Cold Comfort Classics – which we will all need soon enough. Sausage and Cannellini Bean Hot Pot, Beef in Beer Stew and St. Stephen’s Day Pie for instance.
  3. Heaven Preserve Us – probably my favourite chapter particularly in regard to the Quick Fig Chutney and the Garlic Pickle.
  4. World Flavours – from Perfect Pizza to Salt and Pepper Chilli Squid.
  5. Meat Free Mondays – I am not much of a meat eater and the Caramelised Leek Risotto sounds wonderful. I shall be making this very soon, though it may not be on a Monday, and will report back.
  6. Store Cupboard – lots of good things to make and keep to give your cooking a boost in the future. I immediately checked out the Jerk Marinade due to my Caribbean connections and it looks good to me.
The book is written in a lovely chatty style with reference to her Mummy (I always called my mother Mummy so I like that), her cat Orlando Henry Field, her beloved partner (I am inordinately fond of my real man so I like that too) and, with anecdotes and asides aplenty, reading it is a pleasure.


I utterly recommend this book and I’m not just saying it!   I’m off to Amazon right now to give it five stars here.

In other news …

Apart from this lovely book – look what else arrived on our door mat …



… a load of rubbish! Do we really need to use up so many resources just to irritate people?

I have a good idea ... well I like it!  Come back tomorrow to read all about it.

Oh and please don’t forget to vote for your favourite West Country shops, businesses and blogs (hint hint) by clicking on this logo ….





Pin It!

No comments: