9 March 2011

Coffee Infused "Toast"

~  Menu  ~

Cheese & Grapes & Crackers
Spicy Hot V8

Sometimes it is hard to find a crust to eat on this boat!



Breakfast went fine due a sudden epiphany I had whilst making my Real Man’s porridge.  At first I had thought to have Nothing for breakfast when suddenly, staring vacantly at some cold leftover coffee I thought “French Toast?”  I tried three versions so, really, lunch wasn’t too much of a problem, after all.  They were …

  1. I made normal French Toast substituting the coffee for the milk and cream in the original recipe.  Conclusion – I forgot to add sugar!!
  2. I did the same again with sugar.                                                                                                 Conclusion – better but not very coffee-ish.  (As a quasi bonus, making this second batch, I also found myself with a small coffee omelette having poured the dregs of the soaking mixture into the pan).
  3. Without much faith, to try and up the coffee flavour, I tried just soaking the bread in neat sweetened coffee (no egg) and the result was yummy – soft in the middle but crisp round the edges.
Coffee Infused Toast

Cool leftover but delicious coffee
Sugar to taste
A few drips of pure vanilla essence
Sliced bread – stale if you like
Butter
Chocolate

~   Stir together the sugar, coffee and vanilla till the sugar has dissolved.
~   Soak the bread in the coffee a few minutes, turning to coat completely.  Don’t leave in the coffee too long or it will fall apart.
~   Melt a little butter and fry the bread till crisp, at least around the edges, on both sides.
~   Drain on kitchen paper.
~   Grate chocolate over and serve – preferably with more coffee, only fresh and hot this time.



Some ideas I have had but not tried yet but it won’t be long till I do …

  •                     Drizzle with chocolate sauce instead of the grated chocolate.
  •                     Make a chocolate sandwich and soak in coffee before frying.
  •                     Add rum or similar to the coffee.
  •                     All of the above at the same time.
Walk and plodge  as good as ever (have I mentioned how Utterly Fabulous the weather is just now.  I think it’s the sort of weather they have in heaven).  The beach was, of course, lovely ...


… as were some of its inhabitants …





Pin It!

No comments: