6 December 2010

Life and a Bowl of Cherries

~ Menu ~

Penne Pasta in a Creamy Cornish Blue Cheese Sauce with Roasted Pears
2 glasses of Red Wine
A Nibbling at Cherries
And later …

A Few Chocolate Coated Coffee Beans and a Cognac

I had lunch for dinner last night - makes a change! The reason being that I was out all day and was absolutely starving, darlings, by the time I got in. So my evening lunch was whipped up quickly out of a few things I had laying around the place, notably some award winning and scrummy Cornish Blue Cheese* and some Butterscotch Roasted Pears. I was not that surprised, therefore, to make this dish as it is an old standby of mine.


Years ago I did a dessert of Butterscotch Baked Pears. It sold well but I found I was left with a couple of portions; too small an amount to offer on the evening’s menu but too big to throw away. Actually I think almost everything is too big to throw away – I can’t abide waste, my dears. Anyhoo the upshot is that I stirred the pears into a Gorgonzola pasta sauce I had made and it was divine. One customer trailed sadly after me for weeks until I gave him the recipe (I was a little embarrassed) The reason I had some of these pears laying around is that I was making some Butterscotch Pear Ice Cream for my book. Its tough work, you know.

The basic pasta in Blue Cheese Sauce for which I now use the wonderful Cornish Blue goes thus …

Penne Pasta in Cornish Blue Alfredo – for 2

200 ml double cream
15 g butter
25 g freshly grated parmesan
50 g crumbled Cornish Blue Cheese (or Gorgonzola, Cambozola Stilton, etc)
salt and pepper to taste -I myself, personally, would be heavy on the pepper
225 g (raw weight) penne pasta - cooked

~ Gently heat the butter and the cream together, stirring, till the butter has melted into the cream.
~ Add the 50 g of shredded parmesan and stir in till melted.
~ Slowly bring to a gentle boil, immediately turn down the heat and simmer, still stirring quite a lot but only for a minute or so, maybe less, till you have a smooth creamy sauce.
~ Toss together with cooked penne till all hot.
~ Stir in a handful of butterscotch baked pears or, perhaps, sprinkle with crunchy toasted walnuts.

Butterscotch Baked Pears

500g ripe but still a little firm pears – about 4
85g butter
85g soft light brown sugar
pinch salt

~ Preheat oven to 180˚C./Gas 4
~ Peel and core the pears and cut into 1 cm ish /½” chunks.
~ Put the butter, sugar and salt into a shallow oven proof dish and put in the oven for a few minutes till melted.
~ Toss the pear pieces in the buttery goo to coat.
~ Cover with foil and bake for about 45 - 60 minutes till the pears are tender in a butterscotch sauce.

Eat as soon as cool enough with or in ice cream or cream, in cakes, pancakes, etc. or add to the above pasta dish.

We had a surprising cherry situation yesterday – a large bag of cheap fresh cherries from you know where (Tesco) so we nibbled at them to finish the meal.


Later I did a foolish thing I have a word of advice – don’t do this. My friend Carol (you can tell why I like her) gave me a bag of delicious chocolate covered coffee beans and all day I imagined enjoying them with a glass of brandy. So last night I sat (sitting – I just love the way people say “sat sitting”!) up in bed, watching telly, cuddled up to my warm man sipping cognac and partaking of the occasional chocky covered bean. And then another, and another, etc. What a mistake! Later on snuggled up with the warm man I really, really couldn’t sleep – I was awfully wriggly and hyper! I think I shall eat the rest around noon.

Super frost this morning by the way – here is a close-up of the roof of our car!




Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you sure thats a car roof and not a shag pile carpet???